God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2008

New Books from Amazon


My new books came in the mail the other day. Yeah! I am so looking forward into getting into these. I could not stand it and started A W Tozer’s “The Knowledge of the Holy”. The first chapter “Why We Must Think Rightly About God” blew me away. I can tell this book will be one I recommend highly to read. It’s a short 120 pages and appears so far to be an easy read. Tozer starts the first chapter with this sentence “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us” and he goes on to say one of the main problems in the church is “The idolatrous heart assumes that God is other than He is – in itself a monstrous sin – and substitutes for the true God one made after it’s own likeness. Always this God will conform to the image of the one who created it and will be base or pure, cruel or kind, according to the moral state of the mind from which it emerges.” This book was copyrighted in 1961 but I believe it’s relevant for today. The image of God is formed in our minds so the big question is, where are we getting this image? If we are getting an image of God from what our pastor says, our teachers tell us, our family talks about, the world says without studying God’s word ourselves, we most likely have a distorted view of God.

Anyway, I will comment more about Tozer’s book once I finish it. The other books noted below should also be great and I am looking forward to digging into them. They are listed as the following.

The God Who Is There, by Francis Schaeffer
Escape From Reason, by Francis Schaeffer
True Spirituality, by Francis Schaeffer
Humility, by Andrew Murray
He Is There and He Is Not Silent, by Francis Schaeffer
God Doesn’t Believe in Atheists, by Ray Comfort

These should keep me busy for a few months at least.

No comments: