God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Accepting Jesus into Our Hearts


I been wrestling with the idea many people have of accepting Jesus into their hearts. Maybe it’s just the words some Christians use (I used to use this term) to tell people about whom they claim to serve or how they became a Christian. I don’t know which it is but my spirit says something is not right.

I had a great lunch today with someone I highly respect and we were talking about this issue. We had a great discussion which is leading to this post. I found an article here (warning: the article might make you a little uneasy) that explains better what I’m thinking. I would like to point out only God knows the heart and whether we have been saved or not. This is not for me or anyone else to decide. This post and the link provided is just an attempt to help others see their selves in the true light. The light I’m talking about is the Holy Light that burns threw all darkness.

3 comments:

kbhall said...

For me this phrase means; when I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and repented of my sins, He came into my heart and life and I became a new person in Him. I can understand that this phrase could be confusing to children and young people. Growing up in Southern Baptist Church, we sang some wonderful hymns - all five verses, too.
Here is good old gospel song that is one my favorites:
SINCE JESUS CAME INTO MY HEART
Text: R. H. McDaniel
Music: Chas. H. Gabriel
Tune: McDANIEL

1. What a wonderful change in my life has been wrought
since Jesus came into my heart!
I have light in my soul for which long I had sought,
Since Jesus came in to my heart!
Refrain:
Since Jesus came into my heart! Since Jesus came into my heart,
Floods of joy o'er my soul like the sea billows roll,
since Jesus came into my heart.
2. I have ceased from my wandering and going astray
since Jesus came into my heart!
And my sins which were many are all washed away,
since Jesus came into my heart!
3. I'm possessed of a hope that is steadfast and sure
since Jesus came into my heart!
And no dark clouds of doubt now my pathway obscure
since Jesus came into my heart!
4. There's a light in the valley of death now for me
since Jesus came into my heart!
And the gates of the City beyond I can see, since Jesus came into my heart!
I shall go there to dwell in that City, I know, since Jesus came into my heart!
And I'm happy, so happy, as onward I go, since Jesus came into my heart!

BrianB. said...

Did you click on the link I provided in the post? What did you think about it?

Eating Embers said...

I prefer to say I've been saved. Jesus saved me.
While the Calvinists and Arminians may duke it out concerning the how's and why's of the way God's sovereignty interacts with our responsibility and will, I know that He saved me and would rather display what He did and give glory to Him.