God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2008

Al and Snooky




This past Christmas my Dad built a new fireplace mantle for my wife and I. We installed it as one of the families Christmas presents complete with new gas logs. The only thing that did not get finished was the carpet stretched and tacked down around the hearth. So its been five months and I am finally getting around fixing the issue. I pull out the tack strips, carpet stretcher and… (Ok who am I kidding; I really picked up the phone and called the carpet guys).



Al and Snooky (thats his nickname) showed up to correct my carpet woes. After about 20 minutes, they finished up. Boy they know how to stretch carpet. I already knew I wanted to witness to them but how to get the conversation started?

Well little zb was sick the night before with a high fever. I was making small talk with Al and Snooky about how zb’s fever hit 103.8 (almost boiling). I went onto tell them how zb and I prayed for God to reduce his fever and it started dropping right away. They started saying, "amen, amen you got to get the prayers going." I knew I had an easy in about the things of God as these men obviously believed in god. The question was did they understand what they believed and why? I was bound and determined to discover that question before they left.

After they finished, I took zb to his mother and went out onto the front porch to pay them. I then asked if I could ask them a question about God which they both responded, “Sure.” After a few short questions and answers about God, heaven and hell I asked, “If you both find yourselves standing in front God today and He asked, why should I allow you into heaven, what would you say?” Al was quick to answer, “Well I believe and have obeyed his commands.” I humbly asked Al, “So you have keep God’s Laws? Al can I put you on the witness stand just for a moment and lets see how well you have done keeping God’s Laws?” I did tell Al that he did not have to get on the witness stand but he said sure lets do it. So I quickly took him through four of the Ten Commandments. How many lies has he told and what did that make him (Al said liar), had he ever taken something that did not belong to him (Al said thief), had he ever looked upon a woman with lust in his heart (adultery) and had he ever used God’s name in vain (blasmempy). Al was honest with me and you could see the conviction in his eyes. Snooky looked convicted also. The Law was doing its job and all I had to do was point it out.


We had a great discussion and I was able to lay out God’s Law for them to see. Their hearts appeared to be convicted so I begin to tell them the Good News. I explained how Jesus paid the sin debt required by God on our behalf, how He so desperately wanted them to confess, repent and place their trust in Christ. They expressed gratitude to me for sharing but needed to go. I made sure they had a few Gospel tracks and left them with one last thing to think about. They need no pastor, no deacon, no teacher or man to help them get right with God. They only need to be honest with God about who they were (I stressed just like me – a Law Breaker). To humble themselves before the Master of the Universe, confess their sins, repent and place their faith in Jesus Christ. God has promised that once we do that with a sincere heart we will be born again passing from death to life.

The seed of Truth was planted. Please pray that God will grow the seed if it was truly needed and they would come into the Holy Light of Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

Milo said...

You do realize that water boils at 212° Fahrenheit? A baby with a 104 degree fever is in no danger of boiling at all.

BrianB. said...

Yes I realize a 104 degree fever will not really boil my son. This was a feeble attempt at adding some humor to my writing.