God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Praying Can be Dangerous


My son Zachary is 21 months old and anyone who knows him will tell you, that he is all boy. My wife and I have been teaching him to pray since he has been able to sit up right at the dinner table. He has started saying right before eating, “Pray-Pray”, but still has not learned to actually pray. He usually just watch’s us and mumbles as we pray. We try and keep the prayer’s short and sweet – something similar to this:

Lord thank you for loving us and thank you for this food. In Jesus name – Amen.

We have also started praying with him before bed time. Before we put him in bed he will say, “Pray – Pray” and we will normally say a short prayer similar to what’s above. Sometimes just Tina pray’s with him and sometimes just me, but we like to pray all together if possible.

Last night we all where standing there at Zachary’s crib and Tina started praying. Now try and get this picture in you mind, Tina is holding Zachary and I’m standing very close to them both, within inches. After about 20 seconds into the prayer my son…….

Punched me in the noise and then started giggling!

I did not get onto him because I believe he is still too young to really understand that prayer time is not wrestle time.

So the moral of the story is, when praying with a toddler make sure to either keep one eye open or stand outside of swinging distance. Getting clocked in the nose is not fun!

My son will learn this verse and know it by memory:

Proverbs 1:8

My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet, sweet memory. Mommy should have kept the prayer a little shorter :)

Anonymous said...

my parents have both embedded that verse within my memory :)