God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fair Fishing


This past Saturday night my friend Mike Styles and I headed up to the county fair to do some fishing (seeking for lost souls). The fish were active and biting our bait very well (million dollar bill tracts). We ended up giving out over 200 tracts in just couple of hours, which is good for Spartanburg County.

Let me share about just a few personal encounters I had that evening. The first encounter was with a young man about 20 years old who walked up smoking a cigarette and got a million dollar bill tract. I asked if he had a spiritual background to which he responded, “I’m an evangelist.” I said, “WHAT! You are smoking a cigarette. How are you witnessing to people?” Well after a brief conversation I found out he did not mean evangelist, but he went to a church called Evangelical Cathedral. He was not a regular attendee at his church and we ended up having a very good conversation about God.

Then a little later I started up a conversation with two young men (15-18yrs.old). One was not really that interested in having a spiritual discussion, but his friend Jerome was. I had just taken them through four of the 10 commandments when Jerome’s buddy said, “Take off your beads, the police are coming!” When I asked why they could not wear beads, both boys shrugged their shoulders like they did not know. I encouraged Jerome to ask the police officer about the beads, which he did. The police officer said gangs wear beads and then continued to walk on. Once the officer had left I looked at Jerome and said, “Are you in a gang?”, and he responded “No.” I then asked, “Jerome, are you lying about being in a gang? Do you remember the 9th commandment about lying?” Jerome started smiling, and skriming around like a fish out of water. Then he said, “Oh man, Oh man, Ah, Ah. Yeah I am in a gang.” I then proceeded to open up God’s law, God’s holiness and their sin, in an attempt to wake their conscience. I left them with a clear understanding of God’s holy standard and what He commands us to do for breaking His law.

After several more very good conversations and on the way out of the fair, I met Jack. Jack was a fair game worker and actually called me over to him for a million dollar bill. The first thing I noticed when approaching Jack was that he had a large shiner (black eye). He informed me that the night before during a fair party, a fair ride operator jumped him. When I asked why he was jumped, Jack just responded, “He was drunk. We were drinking.”

Jack told me he believed in God and had started reading a Bible. He thought he was a good person and would make it into heaven. Before opening up God’s law to him I asked, “Jack what do you think about the Bible saying drunkards will not inherit the Kingdom of God?”(1 Corth. 6:10) He responded with a concerned slight smile, “I have not got that far yet!”

Out of all the people I witnessed to Saturday night, Jack seemed the most open and humble person. He really seemed interested in the afterlife and what comes after this life. It did not take long for Jack to change his opinion about being good enough to get into heaven. God’s moral law (10 commandments) has a way to do that (Romans 3:19). I expressed my concern about his safety and how next time it might not be a punch headed his way but a knife or gun. I strongly encouraged him to get right with God by repentance and faith alone in Christ.

As Mike and I were getting ready to leave, Jack asked if we were going to be at church service Sunday morning. I said we would be at our local church and asked Jack if the fair had church service on Sundays, to which he responded “Yes they have service. I think I will attend in the morning.” I encouraged him to please do so, but not wait until then to get right with God. I explained he did not need a church service to express his guilty and sorrow to God with repentance (turning from sin) and trusting in Christ. I explained God knows his heart and he should just cry out to him if he has sorrow for his sin.

I pray that Heaven rejoiced over someone who repented that night (Luke 15:7). Please pray that God will grow the seeds that were planted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm digging the blog, man. Really awesome stuff.

But, I was just wondering what exactly did you mean by your comment about the man smoking a cigarette? I don't smoke and I never plan to, but what does smoking have to do with being an effective witness? When is it our job when to judge what is a sin and what is not?

Never in the Bible will you find "Don't smoke." I know of many strong Christians who smoke. Do I agree with their decisions? Absolutely not, but I would never say, “WHAT! You are smoking a cigarette. How are you witnessing to people?” Why? Simply because it is not my place to judge others for what is a sin and what is not. Certain things are black and white as stated in the Bible: Lust, Lies, Murder/Hatred, etc. But there is an extreme difference.

Not everyone has the same convictions. And I believe that is a matter to be left up to God. Your thoughts?