God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Friday, June 20, 2008

Will and Jason


Will and Jason are two young guys that have been renting a property that the owner has been foreclosed on. The bank that owns the property had me go by and make sure they were moving out, so we could secure the property and get it ready to be sold. I used the opportunity after speaking with them about vacating the property to witness to them and this is a summary of our conversation.

I started by telling Will and Jason I felt obligated in asking them if they believe in God. Now please note I had been speaking with them for about 20 minutes and have built a pretty comfortable rapport with them. The conversation went something like this:

“So do you guys believe in God?”
They both said, “Yeah.”
“So what do you think happens to people when they die?”
They both without hesitation said, “They either go to heaven or hell.”
“How do you think your both doing? I mean we could die anytime right? If you were to stand in front of God tonight, where would you go?”
They both said, although they were not as sure as their previous two answers, “Heaven.”
I asked, “Why would God allow you into Heaven?”
Will spoke first, “I just believe, and God is forgiving. I mean I think I will be ok.”
Jason said next, “I think I have done more good things than bad. My good will out way the bad I’ve done.”
I asked Will, “So anyone who just believes and thinks God is a forgiving will get into heaven. Even rapist, murders, and really bad people?”
Will said, “Well no not everyone will get in.”
I then asked Jason, “So you think that if you do enough goods deeds that out weigh your bad deeds God will let you in?”
Jason responded, “Yeah I guess so.”

I told them there was a way to tell if they were going to heaven or not. I asked them if they would like to know. Jason seemed interested, but Will quickly said, “We are very busy and need to get our stuff ready to move out.” I responded to Will that I was grateful for the time he had already given me to speak with them about God, but was there really anything more important than eternity? I promised the conversation would not last any longer than 10 more minutes and wouldn’t they like to find out if they were good enough to go heaven. They both responded, “Sure lets find out.”

Now, I am a big Law then Gospel type of person. I believe people lost in their sins are blinded by their own sin. Taking someone through the Law first to point out how much a sinner they are is a necessary thing. This can be done in a loving and respectful way. I humbly put both Will and Jason on the witness stand and started taking them through God’s 10 commandments. They both quickly within about 2 minutes admitted to being liars, thieves and adulterers. I then asked them again, “So now knowing that God sees you as a liar, thief and adulterer at heart, do you still think He would allow you into heaven?” I could tell they were both convicted when they mumbled out, “No He would not let us in.”

I was able to share the Good News with them before I left. I urged them to make sure to get right with God ASAP, due to not knowing when death might knock on their door. I urged them to repent and put their faith in Christ and Christ alone. They said they would and I gave them both a couple of Gospel tracts.

My Sunday school lesson this week is talking about Philip in Acts chapter 8 and how he consistently spread the Good News wherever he went. Remember we are to be the salt and light to this dying world, spreading God’s truth wherever we go.

“So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it”. Isaiah 55:11

No comments: