God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Auto Zone


The other day the car battery in my wives car died. Thank goodness a Good Samaritan in the form of the Publix store manager had some jumper cables. I hurried home, swapped cars with my wife and off I went to the local Auto Zone.

There I met Anthony. Anthony was a nice guy in his mid 20’s and after he had my brand new battery installed I swung the conversation quickly over to the things of God. Anthony had a very basic understanding of God and he had some experience with the Catholic Church, although he was not attending anywhere currently. He believed in heaven and hell, but had a hard time understanding how God could allow good people to be cast into hell. The truth of hell is one of the biggest issues with professing Christians today. How could a loving God allow someone good to go to hell? I would argue, how could a loving God allow an unrepentant sinner to go to heaven?

Well the first thing I did was take Anthony through God’s Law. Everyone who reads this blog should know by now, I think using the 10 Commandments is the quickest way to allow people to see the seriousness of their sin. We had a good conversation and I think Anthony had a good understanding of God’s Holiness, our sin (breaking God’s Law), why punishment is necessary and of course the best news in the whole world, the Gospel. I did get Anthony’s email address and have followed up with him, but as of today’s date have not received a response. The seed has been spread; please pray that God would grow it.

Two quick notes:

After I had taken Anthony through God’s Law and showed him how God viewed him and made sure he understand that since God is holy, He cannot allow sin into His presence, I asked if he knew what God did to waive our death sentence? Please note his answer, “No, I have no idea”. Please do not assume everyone knows about Christ. Anthony had heard about Christ, but did not have any real understanding why Jesus went up on the cross.

The second note is when will you start sharing your faith with others? People are dying everyday and are passing from life unto death. If we as believers, belief what the Word of God says, people who die in their sins will go to hell. Listen to this wake up call to the prophet Ezekiel:

Ezekiel 3:16-19

16 After seven days the Lord gave me a message. He said, 17 “Son of man, I have appointed you as a watchman for Israel. Whenever you receive a message from me, warn people immediately. 18 If I warn the wicked, saying, ‘You are under the penalty of death,’ but you fail to deliver the warning, they will die in their sins. And I will hold you responsible for their deaths. 19 If you warn them and they refuse to repent and keep on sinning, they will die in their sins. But you will have saved yourself because you obeyed me.

How can we think God will not hold us responsible for keeping His Truths about sin and salvation to ourselves?

No comments: