God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2008

God and Golf


I had lunch the other day with a really good friend and he informed me that a buddy of his that played golf with us last week did not want to go back out on the course with me. Now you might be thinking, “wow Brian must be a great golfer or wow Brian really stinks at golf” but the reason he does not want to play with me is because I was talking about God and what I understand scripture to say about God. He said his friend thought I was trying to correct him on what he believed.

See I like to try and find out what people believe, and often do this by just asking questions. Once we started on the back nine, I started asking questions. Now (lets call him Joe) Joe said he was Christian which I find as no big surprise. Most people claim to be Christians in America and especially in the Bible belt. I told Joe my story and how after reading through Matthew chapter 7, I came to realize that during my teen years and 20’s I might not have been truly converted (saved). (Read Matthew 7:13 to the end of the chapter). I explained to him that in early 2007 I fully submitted to God, making him Lord of my life. I talked about my new found understanding of God’s Holy Law and how I have come to a good understanding how much a criminal I am to God. I explained once I saw myself in the true Light of God’s standard, the cross stood out very clearly to me.

I did ask Joe what he felt about Jesus’ words in Matthew 7:13-27 which I’m assuming made him feel a little uncomfortable. Making Joe uncomfortable was not my intention and I feel bad that he thought that way.

It is funny how sometimes you think what you’re saying sounds ok, but to other people it might be offensive. I guess I need to work on my golf God talking technique.

You know one funny thought, it would seem professing Christians would love the idea of talking God, scripture and yes even a little golf while out on the course. I told my good buddy to tell his friend, “If he plays again with me I will not even mention God the whole round, but if he brings God up, well then its fair game”.

Some things are just more important than eagles, birdies and pars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just never know what God will do with the little seed you planted on the golf course that day. Even if he does never play golf with you again....