God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Life of God in the Soul of Man


When I heard or read somewhere that George Whitefield; the great England preacher-evangelist of the 1700’s was influenced greatly by the reading of a letter written in the 1600’s I knew I had to get a copy. The letter which later turned into a book is The Life of God in the Soul of Man by Henry Scougal. Whitefield tells us in his journals that Scougal’s book was a main key used by God in his conversion. Here is the blurb from my copy I recently picked up:

Henry Scougal died in 1657 at the age of 27 but by then he was already Professor of Divinity at Aberdeen University.

This timeless classic was originally written to encourage a friend and stimulate his spiritual life. It was so appreciated that it was later published as a book for a wider readership.

A hundred years later a copy was sent to George Whitefield by his friend, Charles Wesley – it was instrumental in Whitefield’s conversion. This book provided much of the stimulation behind the Methodist Revival of Britain and the Great Awakening in America.


This is a book I highly recommend, although it can be a challenging read since it was written in the 1600’s. Nevertheless, it was very edifying for me and one I will use to look back on as God continues to grow me. Pick up a copy here.

Here is just a little sample prayer from the book:

I am persuaded, O God, I am persuaded that I can never be happy, till my carnal and corrupt affections be mortified, and the pride and vanity of my spirit be subdued, and till I come seriously to despise the world, and think nothing of myself.

But, oh! When shall it once be! Oh! When wilt thou come unto me and satisfy my soul with thy likeness, making me holy as thou art holy, even in all manner of conversation! Hast thou given me a prospect of so great a felicity, and wilt thou not bring me unto it? Hast thou excited these desires in my soul, and wilt thou not also satisfy them?

Oh! Teach me to do thy will, for thou art my God, thy Spirit is good, lead me unto the land of uprightness. Quicken me, O Lord, for thy name’s sake, and perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth forever, forsake not the works of thine own hands.

No comments: