God alone is Sovereign

1 Chronicles 29:11

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Limited Atonement


http://www.gotquestions.org/limited-atonement.html

Got questions website’s official position is 4-point Calvinism (limited atonement being the one they do not hold to) “Four-point Calvinism (the official position of Got Questions ministries)”. Read the above link and I think you will agree with me that someone on their staff believes in limited atonement or maybe they are closet limited atonement people, who think it’s cool to be in the unlimited atonement group. Anyway, I believe the above article (it’s not that long) makes a strong argument that Christ death is limited to only those God predestined to save.

We have to remember it was a legal transaction that took place at Calvary and Christ said “it’s finished”, which literally means “the debt has been paid in full.” If it was paid in full, but not really in full, because sinners have to do something, then it was not really finished but left unfinished, leaving sinners something they must do. Sinners have to make themselves alive by believing and this is where I have my biggest issue, because dead men cannot make themselves alive.

I guess I need to try and read John Owens book "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ" about Christ' atonement. Maybe I will wait until 2010 in hopes that the Lord's rapture will come before having to start it. I heard it's a very, very tough read...

No comments: